Feb 11, 2020 | AHS Webmaster
OV Welcome Letter from Albany High School
Dear Albany students, staff and families,
As we approach the mid-winter break, I am looking forward to welcoming the Ocean View 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students, Principal Georgeson, Assistant Principal Lau-Seim, their staff and the OV families to the Albany High School Addition and campus beginning February 22. I see this as an opportunity to interact effectively and work collaboratively as a learning community and to extend a helping hand when needed. Please see below for some core considerations as we move into this phase of collaboration.
- The current plan is to have Ocean View and then Marin use the Addition, classroom M4 and the three new portables by the pool for the next 3-4 years. After that, Albany High School students and staff will move into the Addition which includes a new makerspace.
- AHS students still have access to all routes on campus but are being asked to respect “Quiet Zones” near the courtyard, the Addition, M4 and the portables. It’s important to maintain those quiet spaces for OV students to learn and the staff to teach.
- Separate restrooms for the elementary students are in the Addition. AHS students may not use those restrooms. OV and AHS will be sharing the Multipurpose room for lunch service at different times. There will be no overlap of lunch service in that facility and each school will be eating at separate times of the day.
- Morning drop off times for OV are 8:30 and 9:30. Pick up times are 1:45 and 3:05. Anticipate an increase in traffic on Thousand Oaks, Key Route and Portland during those times.
- Opportunities for AHS students to contribute positively to our OV neighbors include being a service student in one of the elementary classes as a teacher’s aide, paid lunch-time supervision positions, and creating a “Buddy Class” relationship with one of the grade levels.
- It will be of the utmost importance for AHS students to present themselves as role models for the younger students, ages 8-10. For example, OV will be using Memorial Park for their recess and PE activities. Critical elements of behavior which will contribute positively to this expectation include using appropriate language when walking through that area, keeping the park clean, and helping to ensure an overall safe playing space for the approximately 300 elementary students who will rely on your responsible decision making.
Thank you for helping me inspire visions of future success with our Ocean View neighbors and for using the synergistic power of teamwork to make maximum contributions for all of our Albany students. If you have any further questions, concerns or suggestions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and check the AUSD website for updates on all facility news.
Albany High School Principal